Sunday, March 27, 2011

Full Circle

You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgement on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgement do the same things. (Romans 2:1)




A few days ago I heard a sister in Christ rebuke her husband for saying something negative about another brother in Christ. My initial thought was how could she rebuke him for that and at the same time be in the habit of publicly disrespecting her husband (who is her brother in Christ)?



This led me to several days of thinking. How come her husband seemed to not care about her well being, but would rebuke me if he thought I weren’t taking care of my wife? How could I mentally rebuke him for not taking care of his wife, when I wasn’t always looking out for the best interests of my own wife?



At least in my sphere of influence, there seems to be a lot of this going on. We become judgemental toward others when they mistreat their spouses, or another brother or sister in Christ, but we don’t think it is important to respect and love the ones closest to us.



What I believe the Holy Spirit revealed to me is that when I’m doing right in a certain area of my life, it is less likely that I will judge someone else who is having a problem in this area.



But when I’m quick to judge someone else, that is a good indicator that I’m doing the same thing. When I find myself being quick to judge, that is a good time for me to stop and pray that our Father would reveal to me what I’m doing wrong and how to change it.



James said, “I will show you my faith by what I do.” (James 2:18)



It is better for me to let my deeds preceed my words. Better yet, let my love for my wife be such an example, that words are not needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment